Tuesday, December 23, 2014

One Word

There is a book called, "One Word That Will Change Your Life" by Dan Britton, Jimmy Page and Jon Gordon. One word is a simple concept, lose the long list of resolutions, wish lists, promises to change and do something about one thing this year instead of nothing about everything. Instead of creating endless goals, the authors found one word that would be their driving force for the year. Just one word. Choose one word that represents what you most hope to accomplish and who you want to be. 

I thought is was a brilliant idea. Focus is what gets over the elusive barrier of overwhelm so we can concentrate, see and participate in the process of transformation. 

Best of all, anyone and anytime can discover their word for the year. I did this past August.

My word is Purpose:

I realized I wanted to do more things with intention and be intentional about my life, my decisions and health. I knew I was going to be busy traveling, being involved in a variety of projects, volunteering and  keeping up with three different schedules. By focusing on my purpose of why I do what I do and that it has meaning helps me face up to the difficulties and overcome hardship. What I do matters.  

For me, having a sense of purpose means having clear goals that fit into my wider life story, so that what I do holds meaning and direction.

Let your journey to a healthier, happier life begin. Thank you for listening.